Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Update on hooping

You can't believe what I've spent the past hour--no, hour-and-a-half doing! I've been reading about "hooping" on the internet. Seems there's this whole culture out there hoop-dancing! Who would have guessed! We've gone way beyond Wham-o's "Hula Hoop" folks--this is serious stuff. The hoops are larger, heavier, and way prettier! Some even shimmer.

So, after I got done reading about the benefits of hoop dancing, seeing videos of people doing the most exciting things with hoola hoops (have to spell it that way because Wham-o patented the spelling "hula hoop" back in the '50s), I went on to read all about where you could purchase these hoops and how you can make your own.

So, I'm going to Lowe's one of these days and buy a roll of 3/4" 160 psi poly irrigation tubing, a connector, and some colored electrical tape! There are really good videos and pictures with instructions on how to make your own, how to size it, how to weight it, etc. Sounds like something I can do--hey, if I can tear down an entire wall inside our house, I can surely build a hoola hoop! Anyone out there want to make one with me? I'm going to have, probably, 100' of tubing, and I'll only be needing a small fraction of that. We could make our hoops together and then SWING! I'm going to get those hips moving one way or the other.

Anyway, all the websites have said that the child-size hoops you buy at the toy store are too small and lightweight for adults. One website said that adults have a hard time keeping them going because they're too small and light. I don't know how I did it in my forties, but I certainly am falling victim to the law of gravity these days! I'll blame it on the hoop!

2 comments:

Amy said...

that's hilarious! i've found so many "cultures" out there for random things; I'm not surprised you found one for hula hoops too. that'll break the boredom anyway!

Ellen said...

i think that's great that you're gonna make a "hoola hoop"! i'm often amazed at how much stuff you can make if you want to. what i wish i had was a plastic machine that could connect to my brain. I'd say "hey, machine, make this thing i'm thinking about" and then it would make it! dreams....one day maybe, huh?