Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Let's Do the Hula (hoop)!

Can you believe that a mere 15 years ago I was hula hoop champion of the Arapaphoe Stake in Colorado? Yep, I won a contest when I was in my mid-forties. Of course, I was only up against all the other people my own age, but still, that's an achievement, folks! I kept the hoop up the longest. And today? I am ashamed to admit that while recently hiking the Jordan River Parkway, I found a hula hoop off to the side of the trail. Thinking of my past glory, I put it around my waist, began to swing those 'ol hips, and my gosh! Those 'ol hips are just that--OL HIPS! I couldn't even get 3 swings of that thing before it was falling to the ground. I have made up my mind that I'm going to go to Toys R Us and buy a hula hoop and begin practicing daily. I can't imagine why this decline is happening...unless it's 15 years and about 20 pounds. Maybe that's it. Maybe it will take more than daily hula hoop practice, and yet, although the practice won't shave the 15 years off my life, perhaps it might positively affect the 20 pounds. Worth a try. Anyway, the MEEZ today is fun. Me in the 60s when I really could do the hula hoop the way she is...and I looked a lot like her then!

No comments: