Friday, August 28, 2009

Pears, beautiful pears!


I've never picked pears--until today. Amy has a friend with two trees, so she and I picked pears to can, put in the dehydrator, and to eat!

I didn't know that you're supposed to pick pears green on the trees. If they're allowed to ripen on the tree, they get mushy in the middle. So.......in addition to these beautiful ones that are ripe now, I also have 3 paper bags of pears ripening on the floor of my kitchen, as follows:



There's a lot of good eatin' there! Thanks for sharing, Amy!

I also got to spend a little time today with my two granddaughters, whom I don't see as often as I'd like. That little one looks just like her Mom as a baby...it's wonderful to hold her because it takes me back 35 years or so. Funny how things like that happen, isn't it? Suddenly, I'm no longer almost 60, but in my mid-20's. I think inside I'm still in my mid-20's all the time; it's just the exterior that's looking older. Hopefully my personality and character are maturing, as well.

I love preserving food. I've been doing it for a long time. I especially like using my newest dehydrator, the Excalibur. Amy's using the one I had all her growing-up years. It's still in perfect working order and I'm glad she's putting it to good use. She had free plums in it today. That's what I do when I get free fruit; stick it in the dehydrator. Some of these pears will make excellent fruit leather.

1 comment:

Amy said...

most of my pears are ripe enough to start processing. the fruit flies are at them even. I'm excited to get them into jars! I also picked another big box of the apples and bottled another 7 quarts of applesauce so now I have 11 in storage minus the 1 open in the fridge. natalie seems to love it and so do it - so i made 2 jars sweetened with stevia instead of sugar so i can have some on hcg.